Real Texas Freedom

Saturday, July 28, 2007

Social Security

Three more days after a February death??? Corrective action is in order, not an explanation. If Mr. Breen, the Assistant Regional Commissioner for Processing Center Operations, can't take immediate action, then the whole system needs revision.

Sam

Sam Nettles - mailto:samnett@msn.com
Real Texas Freedom - http://www.realtexasfreedom.net
RTF Blog - http://realtexasfreedom.blogspot.com/

----- Original Message -----
From: Jackie Ellis
To: sam nettles
Sent: Friday, July 27, 2007 8:07 AM
Subject: Re: Social Security

I did receive a reply the next morning....

Ms. ,

We have obviously created a confusing situation with multiple notices and unclear language. I will have your case reviewed and someone will contact you in the next several days with a better explanation of what is happening and why. I will also let the local office manager know about your experience in the West Fresno Office. Is there a telephone number where you can be reached during the day?

Steve Breen

sam nettles wrote:

This, of course, is a direct result of the Feds picking up the state programs back in the 80's and attempting to work them into the SSA. SSI was supposed to be handled by the General Fund, not the payroll tax, which was exclusively for eligible SS recipients. Tricky accounting allowed SSA to pretend SSI was not funded by the payroll tax but it was and is.

Your problem is also illustrative of the total lack of good management in both Government and Business. It's hard to get anything done over the phone these days and even when you find a live body somewhere, they don't know what they are doing. Forget finding an office nearby and again, the people don't know what they are doing when you do go to an office.

Maybe a change in Government Personnel is in order.

----- Original Message -----
From: Jackie Ellis
To: sam nettles
Sent: Thursday, July 26, 2007 11:20 AM
Subject: Social Security

Sam, here is something of interest on how our Social Security Administration works...
This is a letter I wrote, I have removed all the personal info from the original e-mail that I had sent

Jackie For Corey
Weathermaker .
CA
Claim Number:
Western Program Service Center
P.O Box 2000
Richmond, CA 94802-1791
Date: July 25, 2007


Stephen Breen
Assistant Regional Commissioner,
Processing Center Operations
steve.breen@ssa.gov


Hi my name is Jackie, Mother to the DESEASED Rebecca . On June 28, 2007 I was at the Social Security office @ Clinton , CA and filled out a request to be selected as Payee for my grandson Corey , who is a minor child.. Corey has no living parents. Previously his mother, Rebecca was his Payee until her death in Feb., 2007. Your system does show that was reported on Feb. 8, 2007. Prior to her death Rebecca had changed her mailing address from P. O. Box CA to Weathermaker CA. with the US Postal Service and also Social Security Administration, by mail.

I am receiving mail from the Social Security Administration addressed to Rebecca with the letter head showing her P O Box address, then put in a manila envelope, with the hand written address of the Weathermaker address. Rebecca is DESEASED and should NOT have any Social Security mail addressed to her.

Why I am witting you is the confusion that has taken place by
the Social Security Administration regarding Corey, the survivor in this matter.

1.The first letter addressed to the DESEASED Rebecca dated: June 11, 2007 Claim Number:
states: We are witting to give you new information about the child's benefit's which COREY receives on this Social Security record. You will soon receive a check for $7,706.00 because of a returned benefit check. (I was told by the Social Security office on Clinton , Ca. that it was a returned benefit check from May, 2007)

2. Second letter addressed to the DESEASED Rebecca dated: June 26, 2007 Claim Number
states:Based on information we have, we cannot pay benefits beginning June 2007

The person who received your payments will no longer be your representative payee. We are looking for another qualified person to receive your payments and use them for your needs, (HUH, the person who receives your payment?? that was the person with whom you addressed the letter to. I've heard of talking to the dead, but I hardly think so in this case!!)

3. The third letter addressed to the DESEASED Rebecca Dated: July 2, 2007 Number: states:
We have decided that it would be best for COREY if we continue to pay his Social Security checks to REBECCA . (How does one DESEASED do banking??) by proxy??

4. The fourth letter addressed to the DESEASED Rebecca dated: July 6, 2007 Claim Number:
states: Based on information we have, we can pay benefits beginning June 2007, you will receive $561.00 around July 14, 2007 This is the money Corey is due through June 2007

5. The fifth letter received addressed to me, Jackie dated: July 9, 2007 Claim Number
states: We have chosen you to be COREY'S representative payee. You will receive $561.00 for July around August 8, 2007

6. The sixth letter addressed to the DESEASED Rebecca dated: July 9, 2007 Claim Number:
states: We decided that it would be best for COREY to have his checks sent to another payee. (Do you really think a DESEASED person will read these letters??)

I have called Social Security's local office on West . , CA this is the office that serves my area also the 1-800-772-1213 on July 17, 2007 and July 18, 2007 and talked with a representative following up on papers I had filled out and dropped off at the above address regarding utilizing the Social Security Express Service on Request for Direct Deposit. I was told by the local office representative that the request express service IS NOT processed the same day as stated on the form. She proceeded to take my bank account number and said she couldn't help me any further, that I would have to call the 800 number. I called the 800 number and the women that helped me was very helpful. She answered all my questions, also entered my bank account number for direct deposit as it showed it wasn't input into the system. (Was I just doing a trial run with my local office??) Now I was told that ALL the returned checks would be re-issued and be here no later then the 23rd of July. As of this writting NOTHING!!.

Do you not have interlinking computer systems so that you all are on the same page?? And can retrieve the same information??? The person/persons who are sending out these letters evidentley are not doing the research that is required before making their desicions.

I have done everything that I was asked to do as a payee, ie. opened a special bank account for COREY and have forwarded that information to the Social SecurityAdministration

In the mean time we have a minor child with NO LIVING PARENTS and not receiving monies due him.

The reason that I am contacting you is that the letters received were ALL personally signed by you.

I expect an investigation into this matter and a reply to this e-mail in a timely manner.

Jackie
Payee for COREY
JackieJackie

5 Comments:

At March 3, 2008 at 1:25 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I am so sorry this lady is going through this on behalf of her grandson.

I am experiencing the same inadequacies in the system for my daughter's disability checks which should be coming under her deceased father's name.

Like Jackie, I asked if the system had computers that talk to each other. It seems as if one hand in the government does not know what the other is doing.

Almost a year after my daughter was approved as a disabled adult under her father's account, she finally got the back pay and we were told her checks would no longer be from SSI but drawn on my husband's account.

Tonight she checked her bank account. Again, she was paid through SSI...a whopping $117.67...and they take out because she lives with me. How could she afford to live anywhere else on this money? I don't get the money. It just stays in the government pockets.

The letter we received from Mr. Steven Breen (looking for him is how I found this site), says she will draw a check under her father's name. That letter was dated on February 26, 2008.

So far, the government has done nothing but have one mix up after another. It has done no good to contact the Payment Center in Baltimore, nor the local office, and my congressman believes whatever he is told from the local office. They have ignored phone calls from both me and my daughter's SS attny.

SS is a nightmare.

 
At October 29, 2008 at 9:03 PM, Blogger GEJ said...

I may kill Steven Breen because he is ripping me off taking 12,000 Dallars and not giving my survivors ins.

 
At October 29, 2008 at 9:03 PM, Blogger GEJ said...

I may kill Steven Breen because he is ripping me off taking 12,000 Dallars and not giving my survivors ins.

 
At October 29, 2008 at 9:04 PM, Blogger GEJ said...

I may kill Steven Breen because he is ripping me off taking 12,000 Dallars and not giving my survivors ins.

 
At December 27, 2008 at 4:26 PM, Blogger jlm said...

We, too, have been experiencing difficulties with the same Stephen Breen that these other people have. Reading their posts is like reading our own story. After 4 months of almost daily visits and phone calls to either the local SSA office or the 800 number, we are almost more behind in our case than we were when we started this battle! The one or two letters that we have received from "Breen" have been completely inaccurate, have made absolutely no sense whatsoever, and have contradicted each other and themselves. We believe firmly that a certain commissioner needs to retire or give his job to someone that actually does know what he or she is doing!

The SSA system is an absolute train wreck. The administration can get any and all information from US that they want or need, but if WE want or need some specific information or ANSWERS? Forget it! We know for a fact that the SSA computers do not communicate, because if they did, we would not be in this mess. It is so frustrating to get on the phone with an SSA employee and be told "Well, I really don't see what the problem is", "I dont know why you are having this problem". and, "My computer doesn't even show your information". That is the best one. How can the computer have all the information one day for one conversation ,and then suddenly not have it for the next conversation?

Breen seriously needs to understand what he is doing. He has put a major crimp in our ability to stay caught up on our bills. By not paying the survivor benefits that are due to us, he has taken away more than ONE THIRD of our monthly income. My husband has been disabled for 8 years and I am a full time student(trying to better myself so we don't have to depend on the government). I would like to see how S Breen would handle losing one third of his income every month suddenly for no good reason. To get a couple of generic letters in 4 months' time is extremely discouraging. How can we "just have patience" (which we were told two weeks ago, after 3 1/2 months of having patience) ? We have gotten no answers (or wrong ones) to some pretty simple questions, as far as we see them, and no results to 4 months of work (that Breen should be doing, not us!)

I also got to this blog by looking for Breen on Google. Is my next step going to have to be to get an SS attorney like Pamela? I sure hope not, but Breen is not giving us much of a choice...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home